This is part of a series of travel articles composed by myself and travel expert Kendra Thornton, former Orbitz Director, about our favorite things to do in our home towns.
As I just relocated from NYC to the San Francisco Bay Area, I am sharing the top 5 things I am most excited about doing in and around the Bay!
- Such an iconic San Fran experience are riding the trolleys (ding, ding)! Excited to hop on a cable car and ride the 7 hill tops and watch our west coast peeps hike the city’s steep hills (NY may be a city of walkers but the San Franciscans have the calves!).
- With the yearly moderate temps a bike ride through Golden Gate Park (20% larger than Central Park) is a must. Can’t wait to bike through the Japanese Tea Garden (where the first fortune cookies were supposedly made) and stop at the coastal end of the park to play in the sand with the kids.
- After living in a city with some of the greatest restaurants and chef’s in the world, my eager taste buds are ready to dine at the trendy Gary Danko’s in North Beach and RN74 in South Beach. The food is suppose to be delicious and the atmosphere noteworthy.
Home to the 49ers and Giants!
- Such iconic California teams in the Bay. Where else can you catch an out-of-the-park home run ball by boat but at the AT&T Park. In my opinion, one of the best places to watch a baseball game. And, the red and gold spirit on the peninsula is contagious. We may be a true Green Bay Packers family (I’m a drafted fan due to marriage, ha!) but when the Packers are not playing we will definitely be rooting for our new home team at Candlestick Park (soon Levi’s Stadium), go 49ers – “Who’s got it better than us? Nobody!”
Biking, Hiking, and Surfing
- The Bay Area has such a diverse amount of outdoor activities. A couple things I am most pumped about are hiking along the gorgeous beach lined coastal hills, and then in the winter, watching the world’s bravest surfers at Mavericks Beach shredding waves. So California. Then at the nearby Ritz-Carlton in Half Moon Bay grabbing a drink on the beach during sunset. Can’t wait!
World Class Wineries
- If there is anything more notable in the North Bay it’s the Napa wineries! I am eagerly awaiting a day trip of wine tasting, touring the vineyards, having lunch at the Culinary Institute of America and ending the day drinking a local wine watching the sunset at one of the amazing spas in Sonoma County.
- A spectacular event on the Bay is watching the America’s Cup! The catamarans make the show exciting to watch and the 2013 event was voted the most ‘fan-friendly’ AC ever. Rumor has it that the 2016 AC event could, once again, be held in the San Francisco Bay. I hope so!
With so much culture, diversity and beauty throughout the bay, there is something for everyone. I hope some of my favorite things to experience inspire you to take a trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.
What is something you enjoy doing in your home city? Would love to hear about it.